Graduate program information
Student Affairs Officer
Phone: (310) 825-1203
CBE Faculty Graduate Advisor
Please direct all inquiries regarding graduate application to and include “Grad Program Info Request” in the subject heading of your message.
Graduate Course Information:
All graduate students must be enrolled in at least 12 units per quarter to maintain full-time status. This requirement may be satisfied by taking 590-series courses. Enroll in 2-12 units to fulfill the graduate requirement. Courses are listed by academic advisor. Permission to enroll: Obtain the PTE authorization number from the instructor in charge.
- 597B – Preparation for the Ph.D. oral or written exam.
- 597C – Preparation for the Ph.D. qualifying exam. (prospectus)
- 598 – Preparation for the Master’s thesis research
- 599 – Preparation for the Ph.D. dissertation
- 299 – the departmental seminar is mandatory for all graduate students during each quarter of residence.
*Teaching Assistants/Associates: enroll in 4 units of the Teaching Apprentice Practicum course 375.