Graduate Admissions


  • Direct Link to Application.   Direct Link to Application
  • Application deadline is December 31 and this includes ALL Documents such as transcripts, TOEFL and GRE scores. 
  • Statement of Purpose is required.
  • Personal History Statement and Department Supplement are NOT required and there are no formatting requirements.
  • Recommendation letters may be e-mailed to department directly if unable to upload to application.
  • Mail official transcripts to department address  UCLA/Chemical Engineering, 5531 Boelter Hall Box 951592, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1592, by deadline date.
  • Transcripts must be issued by the university.  Your institution may directly send your official transcripts to UCLA, or you may mail them to UCLA.
  • You are Required to take the General Test of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE).  Send scores to Institution Code 4837 and Department Code 1001. 
  • If you have question regarding your admission, please contact the faculties you selected on the application.                       
  • Admission FAQs website Link  Admission FAQs
  • UCLA General Requirement Link  requirements of the UCLA Graduate Division
  • Information for International applicants Link Information for International applicants   
  • TOEFL department code is 4837                              
  • We Highly recommend that applicants take these courses or something comparable in order to help them succeed in program. Please see Undergraduate website   Link

a, Thermodynamics I and II

b, Transport Phenomena I and II

c, Chemical Reaction Engineering

In your admission application you will have only two choices, PhD or MS.  If you select MS you will be automatically admitted as a Thesis Masters student.  In the Thesis Masters you can select from our core research areas, Biomolecular Engineering, Energy and the Environment, Nano-Engineering, Process Systems Engineering and Semiconductor Manufacturing.  If you are interested in the Masters Degree in Semiconductor Manufacturing you would still select MS, contact Prof. Jane Chang and include your interest in the Semiconductor Manufacturing Program in your statement of purpose essay.

Applicants not having adequate preparation may be admitted provisionally and may be required to undertake certain remedial coursework, which would not be applicable towards the degree.  On arrival at UCLA, an adviser helps the student plan a program, which can remedy any deficiencies.  Our yearly average enrollment  is 30 students.

PhD candidates are fully supported by department.  MS candidates are self-supported.


Each department in the Henry Samueli School of Engineering and Applied Science has a faculty graduate adviser.  A current list of graduate advisers can be obtained from the Office of the Associate Dean for Academic and Student Affairs, 6246 Boelter Hall,.

Students are assigned a faculty research adviser upon admission to the School.  The department will consider changing an adviser upon written request from the student in consultation with the faculty graduate adviser.

Provisionally admitted students meet with the faculty graduate adviser upon matriculation to plan a course of study to remedy any deficiencies.

During the second quarter in residence, students should arrange an appointment as early as possible with their faculty research adviser to plan the proposed program of study toward degree.  Continuing students are required to confer with their research adviser during the time of enrollment each quarter so that progress can be assessed and the study list approved.

Based on the quarterly transcripts, student records are reviewed at the end of each quarter by the departmental faculty graduate adviser and Associate Dean for Student Affairs.  Special attention is given if students were admitted provisionally, or are on probation.  If their progress is unsatisfactory, students are informed of this in writing by the Associate Dean for Academic and Student Affairs.

Students who receive teaching or research assistantships must receive approval from their research adviser or the departmental faculty graduate adviser to add or drop courses.

Students are strongly urged to consult with the Student Affairs Officer and/or the Office of Academic and Student Affairs regarding procedures, requirements and implementation of the policies.  In particular, advice should be sought on advancement to candidacy, on the procedures for taking examination and on the use of the Filing Fee.

See the M.S. and Ph.D. Degree Requirements pages for additional information on the Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering graduate program at UCLA.